søndag den 19. september 2010

Day 23

Send more Epo!
I had a late start today. Left Vise at about 11, but thought I had plenty of time. I had a very nice breakfast with Damiens parents, and they even made me a huge lunchbox. Thanks!
I had already a couch in Spa, Belgium. It was only 50 km away, so I took a detour to a nearby geocaches. Well with huge hills around you, a little detour can be very long. But it was worth it. The cache was hidden at a lookout point with a great view. The visit became alot more interesting cause I met a young woman, Sophie, with her son, Sam. I explained them about geocaching, and found the cache. Sophie had biked around the world with her husband. She even invited me to stay at their place, but they lived in Vise where I just came from. Shame, cause they seemed really nice.
I did a detour to Henri Chapelle, where I saw an American cemetery and memorial. 7992 American soldiers are buried here. Quite a powerful place with all the white crosses.
After the visit I realised the fact, that I wasn't doing many kilometres pr hour, so I had to speed up a bit.
And that was easy, going downhill. If anyone can find my route they'll see a very hilly route today. The highest point was around 400 metres above sealevel.
So I was really glad that the closest couchsurfer accepted my request, cause I was there at 17, and couldn't have done much more. The last hill was an 8 km climb, so that was a bit tough for Bob, who still hates hills.
Garmin had some trouble finding the right address in Spa, but with some text messages from my host, Nathalie, I managed to find it. I was, as usual I should say, welcomed by a very friendly family. It was the dads birthday, so we had pancakes and lovely food for dinner. Great, for a tired biker :)
Nathalie had heaps of maps, so she helped me alot showing me nice bike route options for the following days. Think I'm heading towards the Mossel river. There is a good bike path with less hills than here. :)
I've already found a goal for tomorrow. Heading to Holtzheim. A shorter route than today.
Hills are not always easy, but the sights, wauw!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar