onsdag den 12. marts 2014

Shanthi Niwahana, yoga guesthouse

If you're into yoga, meditation, and awesome vegetarian meals, Shanthi Niwahana is the place in Kandy. https://www.facebook.com/ShanthiNiwahanaKandy

Even though I'm not a huge fan of any of the above mentioned, I have had a great time at their place. Been welcomed, again as the only one in the guesthouse, with great meals and hospitality. 

Especially socializing (read playing) with the family's 6 year old son, Siddhartha,  has charged up my childish battery. Bob is playing a big deal here. :)

A lot of the friendly people I've met sofar in Sri Lanka have been wanting to sell me something.
Fx. Today I was walking in Kandy. I was looking at a big lizzard at the lake, when a local turned up. He was really friendly, and spoke very good English. He was a teacher, or so he said, and offered to show me his school. Close by, so why not. We walked up to the school, he was explaining a lot about the poor kids in the school and a project with 20 Danish people donating clothes to the kids. What a coincidence...
We had a 2-3 second peek into a giant hall in the school. And after that he took me straight to his souvenir shop next to the school.
He was stacking souvenirs on me. I explained I wasn't there to buy anything, but would love to see the (his?) school...

After 10 minutes he told me "you can leave now, bye"...

I walked back to the hall. Around 300 students was having an English class.
The teacher was saying English sentences, the students replied.
I had a hard time understanding his English.

Back at the guesthouse late afternoon, even sitting in the bus, with very few standing passengers. Luxury! Bus ticket for the 45 minute busride: 25 rupees (1,25kr).

Siddhartha took me for a walk in his neighborhood. Nice area with jungle and ricefields. He introduced me (and Bob) to a lot of friends, and showed me a place were they were selling lollies :)

Tomorrow I move on. Not sure where yet :)

Pictures
- great meals at Shanthi Niwahana
- a lizzard
- how they handle rubbish in Sri Lanka (when they don't throw it in the jungle or the river) :(

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar